All children deserve to start the school year prepared, confident, and ready to learn - especially homeless children. On any given night, there are close to 700 homeless children in King County and, on average, it costs $93 for families to purchase the supplies required by public elementary schools.
Together, with your support, Wellspring will help send more than 400 students back-to-school this fall with all of the supplies they need to succeed in the classroom alongside their peers: a sturdy backpack, an organized binder, and a full pencil box.
Between July 15 and October 31, community members are invited to help homeless children start the school year Ready to Learn by:
- Making a financial contribution - When you make a gift to Wellspring, you are supporting children and families in crisis as they triumph over traumas such as homelessness.
- Donating a new essential Ready to Learn item* - To view our list of suggested new items, please view our "Ready to Learn Wishlist".
- Hosting a donation drive* - Hosting a donation drive is a fun, meaningful, and rewarding way to spread the Ready to Learn message among friends, family, and colleagues. For more information, please view our Donate Essentials & Other Items page.
- Volunteering - Each year, Wellspring relies on the support of individual, family, and corporate volunteer groups to prepare 400 homeless students for a successful first day. Please view our Volunteer page for more information.
- Staying Connected - Follow our Powerful Change blog for inspiring stories from our Ready to Learn campaign - from our former clients, donors, volunteers, child philanthropists, and more - and share it with your online community! You can also stay tuned via our Facebook and Twitter pages for up-to-date information on other ways to get involved.
- Kids Helping Kids (KHK) - Children ages 0-12 can also help make a difference by filling a KHK coin jar.
*All donated items will help stock the shelves of our Baby Boutique, our on-site store where homeless families can shop for free.